A garlic press is an essential kitchen tool that will make food preparation simpler. Many cooks may currently be mincing garlic with a knife and cutting board, then get stuck scrubbing knife, board, and hands of the pungent garlic smell. It can take a lot of soap getting this stink out, and it’s essential to clean the cutting board thoroughly, as garlic can harbor some toxic bacteria that can make your family ill.
A garlic press is of minimal cost, considering how it simplifies the process of mincing garlic for your cooking. Generally, a garlic press works by placing cloves of garlic in a compartment, then squeezing the handles together. A garlic press can also be called a garlic crusher, but basically, both have the same purpose: the garlic clove will be pressed down and forced through several small holes, and come out the end. The garlic will then be perfect for making recipes.
Cleanup is simple, as all you have to do is wash one tool, keeping your knives and cutting boards for other purposes. Best of all, your fingers won’t have that garlic stink for hours afterward.
A garlic press also speeds up the process of garlic mincing, particularly if you are making a large amount of food for a family gathering, or making meals for the entire week.
What Are Some Garlic Press Uses?
A garlic press is used mainly to mince garlic for use in recipes, but some garlic presses can also mince ginger. You’ll need to carefully read product descriptions, though, as not every garlic press is strong enough to do so.
What Types of Recipes Utilize Minced Garlic?
Even though garlic’s history began around the Mediterranean and China, its use has spread throughout the world. Since garlic is sold around the world today, it’s added to every type of cuisine, on every continent. Garlic may be popularly associated with Italian food, such as in pasta sauces, pizza sauce, and garlic bread, but can also be a popular component of stir-fries for Asian cuisine too.
Garlic can be eaten raw or cooked. It can be minced and made into Caesar salad dressing or Italian dressing. Garlic is tasty when made into soups. Garlic can also flavor meat dishes. Garlic is also a staple for East Indian dishes, such as chana masala or curries.
Any dish that benefits from the taste of onions can benefit from garlic too. Garlic is not only delicious, but it’s essential for your health, giving your body’s immune system a substantial boost in fighting cold and flu bugs.
How a Garlic Press Minces Garlic Easily
Did you know that you don’t need to peel a clove of garlic to mince it? Here are some tips on the proper way to mince a clove of garlic. Once you try it, you’ll never use a knife and cutting board to chop up garlic again!
- Peel off the crispy dry outer coating of the garlic bulb.
- Pick apart the garlic cloves.
- Do not peel the cloves.
- Place one clove of garlic inside the press.
- Close the press.
- Squeeze the handles together until the minced garlic comes out of the small holes.
- Keep squeezing until no more garlic comes out.
- Use a spoon or knife to remove the garlic from the outside.
- Empty the inner contents of the garlic press in your organics bin.
- Wash your garlic press with dish soap and water.
- Continue preparing your dish.
What Features to Look for in a Garlic Press
There are a few things you should consider before purchasing your garlic press.
- Look for a garlic press that has a large enough inner chamber to fit the most common sizes of cloves.
- Easy to clean. Some presses come with a unique tool to help you clean your press. These can be an external tool or built directly inside the garlic press.
- Dishwasher safe. This can save you a lot of time from having to scrub your press after use.
- Materials. A stainless steel garlic press will cost more than an aluminum one as its metallic sheen will not peel, making it last longer. Stainless steel is also more rust resistant than other types of metals. Stainless steel can also naturally repel the smell of garlic. There are also plastic presses, but these may break over time.
- Plastic or rubber handles. Rubber handles make the garlic press easier to hold in your hands.
- Removable basket. This can facilitate washing.
5 Best Garlic Presses on the Market
Here are reviews of the five best garlic presses on the market. Carefully read through each of their features to decide which may be the right one for you.
1. Orblue Propresser Stainless Steel Kitchen Garlic Press
- Simple to clean.
- Strong and durable even after multiple uses.
- Made from stainless steel so it won’t rust or peel.
- Large reservoir to hold more garlic.
- Dishwasher safe.
The Orblue Propresser garlic press has been made in a traditional style. It’s made from sturdy stainless steel, so it will be durable and last for many years, never weakening at the joints.
This garlic press is easy to use, and the handles have been engineered, so only a minimum of pressure is needed to reduce the garlic to mince. You can also place more garlic into the reservoir, as it’s bigger than normal so that you can press several cloves at once. This decreases the time needed to get your recipe prepared.
This kit also includes a black rocker or peeler that will help you to remove the peel from the garlic with a single motion. But if you don’t wish to use the peeler, you can place your garlic in the presser basket unpeeled. After you’ve finished mincing the garlic, you can rinse out the excess remains with your sink sprayer. If any garlic remains, you can use a toothpick to pick it out, or a toothbrush. You may then place the Orblue garlic press in the dishwasher to clean.
2. Alpha Grillers Garlic Press and Peeler Set, Stainless Steel Mincer
- Solid stainless steel press.
- Minces both garlic and ginger.
- Easy squeeze function.
- Simple to clean.
- Includes garlic peeler.
The Alpha Grillers Garlic Press is made from high-quality stainless steel. The set also includes a garlic press, so you can pre-peel your cloves before dropping them inside the large basket. The peeler tube is made from food-safe silicone. This is handy if you want to slice your garlic with a knife and not have it minced.
The press has large handles, making it easier to use. This is an excellent press to use if you have smaller hands, or have weak hands due to a condition. It’s also simple to wash—all you have to do is rinse it under the tap. It’s also dishwasher safe so you can ensure it’s sterilized adequately after usage.
In addition to mincing garlic quickly, you’ll also be able to mince ginger with this press. The press has a heavy-duty construction, so it’s strong enough to mince garlic or ginger. It will leave little garlic or ginger behind. The peel will stay in the basket if you decide not to remove it in advance. The manufacturer backs up this press with a lifetime guarantee.
3. OXO Good Grips Soft-Handled Garlic Press
- Large soft handles.
- Large capacity reservoir.
- Built-in cleaner.
- Made of die-cast zinc.
- Dishwasher safe.
The OXO Good Grips Garlic Press has a soft black handle, making it easier to grip in the hands without worrying about slippage. The soft grip also makes it feel more comfortable, and you won’t feel you have to exert as much pressure to complete your garlic pressing task. You’ll only need to do one squeeze to get the garlic you need for your recipe.
It has a larger reservoir so you can place several garlic cloves in it at once. This garlic press is made from a sturdy, die-cast zinc material so that it will last for many years. This garlic press has an efficient hole pattern, which will enable more garlic to be squeezed out, so waste is minimized. A unique feature of this press is an orange rubberized cleaning brush. You twist the handles in the opposite direction, and the brush will push out any excess garlic. This will lessen the wastage of a garlic bulb.
This garlic press is also dishwasher safe to ease cleanup and to get rid of that pungent garlic smell, so your kitchen drawer will always smell fresh and not like stale garlic.
4. Kuhn Rikon Epicurean Garlic Press
- Attractive stainless steel design.
- Will mince both garlic and ginger efficiently.
- Fits ergonomically in hand.
- Simple to clean.
- It comes with a two-year warranty.
The Kuhn Rikon Epicurean garlic press is an attractive kitchen tool that works. It will quickly and efficiently mince garlic for any dish. It can also mince ginger too. To make it work, you place your unpeeled garlic cloves or ginger pieces inside the reservoir, then squeeze the handles shut.
This press has been designed to fit comfortably within the palm of your hand. Use it left or right. It’s been engineered for ease-of-use, so it requires less effort to use than other types of presses.
This press has BSieve hinges which open up, enabling it to be more easily washed under the tap. You can also place it in the dishwasher. Kuhn Rikon is so confident you’ll love your garlic press that they have backed up your purchase with a two-year warranty.
5. Zyliss Susi 3 Garlic Press, No Need To Peel, with Built in Cleaner
- Made from sturdy cast aluminum.
- Has a generously-sized hopper to hold more cloves.
- Lightweight, ergonomic handle.
- Comes with a built-in cleaning tool.
- Comes with a five-year manufacturing guarantee.
The Zyliss Susi 3 Garlic Press comes in a unique compact design that stows away easily in the kitchen drawer. It’s made from sturdy cast aluminum. It will quickly and easily mince up the garlic you need for your meals. There’s no need to remove the peel in advance, so you’ll save time.
This press is made with a lightweight handle that’s been ergonomically designed. You can even mince ginger. The hopper holds a large number of garlic cloves or ginger pieces, so you only need to do one squeeze to get the required quantity you need for your recipe. There is also a built-in cleaning tool, which matches the holes in the press perfectly. This will speed up the removal of your minced garlic or ginger, and also speed up the cleaning process.
Zyliss is confident you’ll love your garlic press, so they offer a five-year manufacturer’s warranty. While handwashing is recommended, you’ll also be able to place your press in the dishwasher to get it clean.
How to Wash a Garlic Press
Even though a garlic press will simplify food preparation, many people may still be concerned about washing one properly. Here are a few tips to speed up the process.
- Follow the instructions on the product’s packaging.
- If it came with a cleansing tool, use it.
- Use dish soap.
- If it’s dishwasher-safe, remove the garlic remains and place it in the dishwasher.
- Use an old toothbrush or toothpick to scrub out the inside.
- Soak the garlic press in a small bowl of dish soap and water.
Buy Your Garlic Press Now
If you’ve ever been hesitant about using garlic for your recipes because it’s been a pain to chop up and clean up afterward, a garlic press is the best solution to this cooking chore.
No matter which type of garlic press you choose, soon you’ll have minced cloves that you can use for your delicious recipes. With the purchase of a garlic press, you’ll quickly discover how simple it is to cook with garlic, and soon you’ll be making more recipes throughout the week that utilize this tasty ingredient.