Pork rinds offer instant gratification and immense satisfaction when the craving for a crispy, deep-fried snack hits. These light and airy snacks are surprisingly low in carbs but high in protein. So, you can generously help yourself to it, even if you are on a keto diet.
Pork rinds are very popular in North America, South America, and Asia. Interestingly, each of these cultures presents a different version of the snack by adding their signature seasonings and flavors.
Now, did you know that you can get creative with pork rinds? Eat it with salsa and dips. Or use it instead of croutons in soups and salads. You can even substitute it for breadcrumbs in most recipes.
Though you can make pork rinds at home, why should you undertake all that trouble when a variety of readymade options are available?
Whether you want a simple, budget-friendly snack for sharing or gourmet pork rinds, you can find it.
Unsure of where to begin? Well, our list of the top seven pork rind brands will help you get started.
1. UTZ Pork Rinds Barrel
- Contains fried pork skins and salt
- Has zero carbs and 8 g of protein
- You can also choose among three varieties: Barbecue, Buffalo, and Hot and Spicy
- Perfect for sharing
- The safety seal keeps it fresh and ensures that it is tamper-proof
- Light and crispy
- Good value for money
- No carbs or trans fats
- Basic flavor
- All the pieces are not of uniform size
UTZ pork rind is one of the most recognizable brands in the market. Since 1912, the company has built its reputation for delivering delicious pork rinds.
The most attractive factor is size. Each barrel has enough pork rinds to share. The airtight container ensures that the contents stay fresh and crispy.
UTZ pork rinds are flavored with salt. Although it is a basic flavor with no exotic ingredients, it appeals to all. The quality is stellar. The pork rinds are very light, airy, and crispy. You will hardly find soggy or soft pieces. It delivers a delicious and satisfying crunch.
Due to the light and airy texture, you can add it to breading mixes. It will add delicious crispiness to the batter and improve the texture of the snack or dish.
2. Epic Artisanal Oven Baked Pork Rinds
- The pork rinds are flavored with paprika, sea salt, onion powder, lime, chile pepper, jalapenos, pepper, and garlic
- Also offer Pink Himalayan Sea Salt flavor
- Made with non-GMO, antibiotic-free, organic pork skin
- Exotic blend of seasonings create a gourmet flavor
- Excellent crunch and delicious texture
- Each serving has less than 1g of carbs and up to 11 g of protein
- Healthy option since the pork rinds are oven-baked
- Gourmet option at a reasonable price
- Can be heavy on the flavoring
Epic has an impressive array of gourmet-flavored pork rinds. However, chili lime is one of their best flavors. It has just the right hint of acidity to balance the crispy meaty taste.
The chili flavoring comes from a mix of peppers. It includes paprika, chile peppers, jalapenos, and pepper. Although it is spicy, the flavor is exciting and addictive.
Since the chili lime flavor pork rinds are baked, it lacks the rich fatty taste of regular pork rinds. However, less fat makes it healthier than deep-fried pork rinds.
The Epic chili lime flavor chips are very airy, crisp, and crunchy. The brand uses skin from all over the pig to prepare the rinds. However, every piece is flavorful and satisfying. Although it is a gourmet flavor and healthy, Epic Chili lime pork rinds are reasonably priced.
3. Lowrey’s Bacon Curls Microwave Pork Rinds (Chicharrones)
- Pork rinds flavored with salt, natural flavorings, extracts of paprika
- Hot and spicy flavor profile
- Their Original Flavor is an enjoyable snack with a low carbohydrate count.
- It has 30 g of protein per bag
- Easy to prepare in the microwave in a matter of minutes
- Fresh, juicy flavors
- Addictive taste
- More rinds per pack than in ready-to-eat crisp bags of the same size
- Contains MSG
- It is easily overcooked
When it comes to flavor and crunch, nothing beats microwavable pork rinds. Lowrey’s bacon curls are tastier than other expensive gourmet pork rinds. They have a delicious crunch and zesty freshness. Unlike the typical, spicy pork rinds, these bacon curls have more flavor and freshness.
The hot and spicy snack invigorates the taste buds. It is a great snack for the workplace, and you can get it ready in less than two minutes.
But it can take a while to get the cooking time right even if you follow the instructions on the pack. The instructions say to stop the microwave when the bag stops growing. However, it is not an exact science and the timing can vary slightly for each microwave. You may end up with hard pieces if you overcook them.
Another concern is that this variety has MSG, which is not a healthy ingredient. We also found that it tastes saltier than other brands.
Nonetheless, Lowrey’s bacon curls are good value for money. You can easily get more pieces per pack than in a ready-to-eat bag of the same size. They work well with most dips and sauces. Use them as bar snacks and you will probably not settle for anything else in the future.
4. Outstanding Foods PigOut Pigless Pork Rinds
- Contains no pork
- Nacho cheese, barbecue flavor
- 25 g of protein per pack
- Flavors include: Texas BBQ, Nacho Cheese, Hella Hot, Original, and Salt and Vinegar
- A vegan alternative to pork rinds with perfect flavors
- Healthy because the rinds are baked and not fried
- Not greasy like regular pork rinds
- Excellent pork flavor
- 100% plant-based ingredients
- Gluten-free, soy-free, non-GMO, trans fat-free, and cruelty-free product
The only pig in this product is in its name. PigOut Pigless pork rinds are a plant-based, vegan-friendly alternative to non-vegetarian pork rinds. Interestingly, it tastes like real pork and the flavor is spot on. The pork-rind seasoning is very flavorful and is guaranteed to satisfy your cravings.
PigOut pigless pork rinds are made from pea protein and pea grits. Not only does it look like real pork rinds but also tastes authentic. It is not like the usual vegan substitutes that fail to deliver the same effect as their meat-based counterparts. This snack is the real deal.
PigOut pigless pork rinds are healthier than regular pork rinds as they are baked. So, it has less sodium and fat as well. However, the taste is addictive. Don’t be surprised if you are unable to stop yourself from emptying packet after packet.
The bags are just the right size to grab and go. The variety pack has five different flavors inspired by classic snacks like Cheetos and potato crisps.
A single pack of PigOut pigless pork rinds packs as much protein as a whole beef burger. So, it is one of the better snacking options for when your hunger cravings strike. Try it and you will find it impossible to stop at one.
5. Pork King Good White Cheddar Pork Rinds (Chicharrones)
- White cheddar cheese flavor
- Zero carbs per bag
- Sugar-free snack
- Other flavour choices are Cheddar Cheese, Dill Pickle, Himalayan Pink Salt & Vinegar, Nacho Cheddar, Pepperoni Pizza, Salted Butter, Smoky Jalapeño & Cheese, Onion & Sour Cream, Stupid Hot and Ranch
- Suitable for keto, paleo, and diabetic diets
- Light and crispy
- Rich, crunchy, and cheesy flavors
- Fried in their own pork fat to retain the whole flavor
- No MSG or other bad stuff
- Some people find it too salty
If you love cheese and meat, Pork King Good white cheddar pork rinds will blow your mind. It is a great snack that blends the luscious creamy flavor of cheddar cheese with the delicious crunch of pork rinds. It delivers the same satisfaction as cheese-flavored popcorn. However, it is a healthier snack.
The Pork King company is committed to delivering great flavor sans the calories. Hence, this delicious snack has zero carbs. Whether you are on a weight-loss diet or are diabetic, you can enjoy Pork King pork rinds without feeling guilty. Although the brand offers a variety of flavors, white cheddar Pork King pork rinds are the best. It has gourmet quality and is delicious.
The strong flavor profile also has to do with the fact that the pork rinds are rendered in their own fat before the seasonings are added. So, it has a strong and unmistakable pork flavor. The seasoning is also perfectly balanced with just the right amount of salt and spice.
6. 4505 Chicharrones Fried Pork Rinds, Classic Chili & Salt
- Contains pork rinds, salt, coconut palm sugar, spices
- Made from the skin on the pig belly and back and is rendered in pork fat
- Many flavors to choose from, including Classic Chili & Salt, Jalapeno Cheddar, Smokehouse BBQ, Sea Salt, En Fuego, and Sea Salt Cracklins
- Smooth flavor profile and light, crunchy texture
- All the fat is fried out during the cooking process
- The pork used is humanely raised and is all-natural, antibiotic and hormone-free
- Has zero carbs
- Keto, paleo-friendly and gluten-free
- Only a small number of chicharrones in each bag
The 4505 classic chili and salt pork rinds are unique because of the sustainability aspect. The company is committed to following humane and sustainable methods while sourcing its produce. So, the pork rinds are made from the skin of pigs that are raised on small farms. The animals live in low-stress environments and are fed healthy produce. This attention to detail is evident in the quality of the chips.
While the company produces a variety of flavors, the classic chili and salt flavor is a crowd favorite. The flavor profile impresses because it is the perfect blend of salt and heat, with a hint of sugar. The sweetness is very subtle. It works well with salt and spice seasoning to create a rounded flavor.
When it comes to texture, 4505 is delightfully crunchy. Each pork rind is airy, light, and crispy. The flavor of pork rules as the rinds are rendered in their own fat. This fat is completely fried out, leaving it richly flavored and deliciously crispy.
Whether you prefer to munch on it or add it to a batter recipe, this brand will satisfy your needs perfectly.
7. Ole’ Uncle Porkers Keto-Friendly Churro Pork Rinds
- Cinnamon flavored
- Contains pork skin, coconut oil, cinnamon, monk fruit extract powder
- Zero sugar and low carbs
- Keto and paleo-friendly snack
- It has a unique buttery and sweet flavor profile
- Crunchy texture
- No artificial ingredients, sugar, or preservatives
- The taste of cinnamon is very subtle
Most pork rinds in the market are spicy or salty. So, the cinnamon churro flavor of Keto-friendly churro pork rinds is unique. Although it may not suit everyone’s taste, there is no denying that it is an exciting flavor. You must try it at least once!
The pork skin is fried in 100% natural coconut oil. As you may already know, coconut oil is renowned for its health benefits. This brand claims that coconut oil is also responsible for the lighter taste. It introduces healthy medium-chain triglycerides into the diet.
The packaging is one of the most appealing aspects of these pork rinds. It comes in a bottle that helps to retain the delicious crunch and prevents the rinds from being crushed. It is a delicious snack.
It also works as a cereal topper, in fruit yogurts, or even as a substitute for crackers in cheesecakes.
With no artificial additives or added sugar, it is an all-natural product. Nonetheless, we would have liked it better if the flavor of cinnamon were more pronounced!
To wrap it up…
All the pork rinds on our list are crispy, crunchy, and delicious. However, the seasonings, the cooking medium, and technique can make a lot of difference, especially if you are on a special diet or have strict dietary preferences.
We suggest that you go through the detailed break-up of each of these brands to choose one that matches your preferences. But if it is just the taste that you are bothered about, we are sure you will be impressed by all of them. Do let us know which one you liked best!