No processed food can replace the benefits of real, wholesome food that is carefully prepared from fresh ingredients. However, most of us lead hectic lifestyles, and it often becomes necessary to choose the next best alternative.
Made from 100% real ingredients that are minimally processed, Larabar is a leading energy bar brand with a variety of exciting flavors.
Larabars are named after their founder, Lara Merriken. The story goes that during one of her numerous mountain hikes, Lara was inspired to come up with a healthy and delicious product made using fruits, nuts, and natural ingredients.
She wasted no time in bringing her idea to life. Lara played around with various recipes and experimented with friends and family to come up with the first edition of Larabars.
The first batch of 500 Larabars retailed in April 2003. The rest, as they say, is history!
Over time, Larabar has grown by leaps and bounds, and the company has introduced newer and more diverse flavors.
Different flavors use different ingredients, but the main binding base for all Larabars is dates. Apart from this superfood, the bars also contain nuts, fruits, and spices that deliver a clean boost of healthy energy.
But when it comes to choosing a flavor, we can’t blame you for being stumped: There are more than 25 options at most grocery stores.
- Almond Butter Chocolate Chip
- Almond Cookie
- Apple Pie
- Banana Bread
- Banana Chocolate Chip
- Blueberry Muffin
- Carrot Cake
- Cashew Cookie
- Cherry Pie
- Chocolate Chip Brownie
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Hazelnut Swirl
- Cinnamon Raisin Cookie
- Cinnamon Roll
- Chocolate Coconut Chew
- Coconut Chocolate Chip
- Coconut Cream Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Lemon Bar
- Mint Chip Brownie
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Peanut Butter Banana
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
- Peanut Butter Cookie
- Pecan Pie
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Pumpkin Pie
- Strawberry Chocolate Chip
So we went ahead and tried every flavor — from key lime pie to apple pie and chocolate chip cookie dough — to find our favorites for this Larabar taste test. Let’s just say, we’re pretty sure you’ll want to stock up on the winning flavors (and avoid the not-so-great ones).
Our Choices for the Best Larabar Flavors
So, if you are wondering which flavors are best, here is a list of the top 7 Larabar flavors that we recommend.
1. Cashew Cookie
Cashew lovers will be delighted with this simple, but amazingly delicious flavor from Larabar that is created using just two ingredients.
- Contains cashews and dates
- Whole 30 compliant, Kosher and dairy-free
- Rich, creamy texture
- Sweet and simple recipe
- Happy with the taste, as well as its portability
- Priced a little high
- Quality isn’t always consistent
The cashew cookie bar is by far one of the most popular Larabar flavors and one that leaves you wondering how something so simple can be so delicious.
Larabar has kept this recipe amazingly simple by using just dates and cashews. So, don’t worry about added sugar or any of the other bad stuff. Nevertheless, the product is an indulgent and filling snack.
Each cashew cookie bar yields 230 calories, which is enough to keep you going for a few hours.
Overall Rating: 9.4/10 (Excellent)
2. Lemon Bar
Larabar lemon bar nails the right balance of sweet and tart, making it an excellent choice for those who love the citrus tang of lemon.
- Kosher, Whole 30 compliant, vegan
- Not too sweet nor too sour
- No unpleasant aftertaste
- The taste is as original as it gets
- Contains dates, almonds & lemon juice concentrate
- Tastes just like lemon pound cake
- Great for trails and hikes
- Has gone moldy before reaching its expiration date
Most lemon-flavored nutrition bars have a strong aftertaste, which we dislike. But this is surprisingly different.
The Lemon bar flavor from Larabar has just the right amount of sourness, which complements its creamy, chewy texture. It leaves no lingering after-taste and is delightfully refreshing.
Since it is dairy-free, it is suitable even for those of you who are lactose-intolerant. So, indulge in some clean, zesty lemony goodness when you pick Larabar’s lemon flavor.
Overall Rating: 9.2/10 (Excellent)
3. Apple Pie
Cinnamon and apple are a match made in heaven. Larabar apple pie flavor marries these two explosive flavors to perfection.
- Beautiful mixing of flavors of apple and cinnamon
- Contains dates, almonds, apples, walnuts, raisins & cinnamon
- Whole 30 compliant, Kosher and dairy-free
- Tangy but sweet, with just the right amount of crunch
- Contains half a cup of fruit and 5g of fiber
- It’s a bit pricey
- A bit chewy and gummy
Come fall, and we can never have enough of the tangy, tasty goodness of apple pie. Enjoy the taste of this refreshing autumn staple at any time with the Larabar apple pie flavor.
By blending the pungent effect of cinnamon with the crisp sweetness of fresh apples, Larabar apple pie flavor is the next best thing to a slice of apple pie. It is a rich and healthy recipe that delivers the goodness of fruits, nuts, and well-deserved fiber.
It also has just the right amount of crunchiness from the delicious assortment of dry fruits. Despite the presence of dates, the nutrition bar isn’t too sweet.
Altogether, the Larabar apple pie flavor is a highly-recommended treat that triggers the best memories of autumn.
Overall Rating: 8.7/10 (Very Good)
4. Cherry Pie
Easily the sourest flavor from Larabar, Cherry pie is tangy and undeniably strong. But if tart is your thing, there’s nothing to complain about.
- Made from just 3 ingredients—cherries, dates, and almonds
- Whole 30 compliant and Kosher
- Strong, sour taste
- Contains half a cup of fruit and lots of B-vitamins
- Packed with flavor
- Almonds add just the right amount of crunch
- A little disturbed by the occasional cherry pits in it
Larabar cherry pie is a flavor that you either like or don’t; there is no in-between!
The best thing about this flavor is how closely it replicates the original tartness of cherries. So, if you love the punchy sourness of real cherries, here is a flavor that will tantalize your taste buds.
The texture is chewy but neither too soft nor gooey. The scattering of almonds throughout the bar delivers just the right amount of bite.
So, if you are looking for a non-dairy, GMO-free, vegan nutrition bar that is packed with the fruity taste of real berries, you are sure to love this cherry pie flavor from Larabar.
Overall Rating: 8.2/10 (Very Good)
5. Peanut Butter Cookie
Here’s a simple way to break up the peanut butter cookie flavor from Larabar.
- The bar contains dates, peanuts, and sea salt flakes
- Delivers 220 calories and 4g fiber per serving
- Tastes like rich, creamy peanut butter
- Moist and chewy
- Savory because of the addition of sea salt
- A bit expensive
- A few of the recent batches seem to be a bit on the dry side
Tastes like peanut butter? Yes
Tastes like a cookie? Not so much
Die-hard peanut butter fans will be mighty pleased with the peanut butter cookie flavor from Larabar. It is deliciously indulgent, with a moist, creamy texture.
Dates add just the right amount of sweetness to the recipe, with sea salt flakes creating an authentic peanut butter flavor.
Although moist and chewy, the cookie part of the name is somewhat misleading. Instead, it resembles hardened peanut butter. So, if you are looking for a cookie texture, you may be disappointed.
Nevertheless, this is a healthy treat that combines the goodness of peanuts with the benefits of dates. It is filling and will keep your hunger at bay for several hours.
If plain peanut butter isn’t your thing, you may like to try the other peanut butter flavors like peanut butter banana, peanut butter and jelly, and peanut butter chocolate chip.
Overall Rating: 7.6/10 (Good)
6. Banana Bread
With just banana, dates, and almonds, Larabar banana bread must be the tastiest snack on the planet. It is just like freshly baked banana bread, straight from the oven!
- Contains unsweetened bananas, dates, and almonds
- Kosher, dairy-free, and Whole 30 compliant
- The genuine taste of delicious banana bread
- Rich in Vitamin B and potassium
- 200 calories and 4g fiber per serving
- The texture was a little uneven
- Made me think of over-ripe bananas
For those of you who love banana bread, this flavor is as good as the original thing. Banana bread Larabar reminds you of a cheerful, delicious, and filling slice of banana bread—fresh and oozing with flavor.
The company has kept it simple by just adding almonds and dates to the mix. It tastes great as a breakfast bar but also works as an indulgent snack-on-the-go.
Being moist and chewy, it is a pleasant alternative to energy bars having a typical icky protein taste. Larabar banana bread resembles fresh fruit and rightly so since that is what it contains.
Having said so, we must warn you that you cannot overlook the distinct banana taste of this bar. If you aren’t fond of this fruit, you should try another flavor.
Overall Rating: 7.2/10 (Good)
7. Blueberry Muffin
This is Larabar’s version of the most popular muffin flavor—blueberry. This fruity bar is rich with fruity goodness, with a hint of vanilla and just the right amount of bite.
- Made from cashews, dates, apple, blueberries, and vanilla
- Delivers 190 calories per serving and is Kosher and Vegan
- Low sugar content
- Rich fruity taste
- Amazing texture with just the right amount of bite
- Spoiled before reaching its expiration date
- Date flavor is a bit too strong for my liking
The Larabar blueberry muffin is not too heavy on the palette, but refreshingly tasty. And it contains real blueberries, not any of the artificial flavors.
When you bite into a blueberry muffin bar, you will see that it is filled with real pieces of blueberries. The taste is more tart than sweet.
Fans of the blueberry muffin consider it to be out of the world and will settle for nothing else. It has a firm texture and is travel-friendly. Berry fans will be impressed!
Overall Rating: 6.5/10 (Above Average)
So, those are the top Larabar flavors to try.
Now, let us explore a little more about Larabar and find out more about what distinguishes it from other energy bar brands.
Why Choose Larabar?
Market aisles are flooded with nutrition and protein bars. So, what makes Larabar so popular?
- Excellent ingredient profile: Larabars contain no lousy stuff like sugar, flavor enhancers, or preservatives that are present in most nutrition bars. So, they are clean, healthy snacks made from real food. The base is made of dates that have various health benefits and are rich in fiber. Other ingredients include superfoods like nuts and fruits.
- Texture and flavors: Dates and nuts create a fascinating chewy and crunchy texture. Since they do not have any artificial protein, the bars taste like real food.
- Fantastic variety of flavors: Larabar has nearly 21 flavors, most of which are inspired by famous ice cream and dessert flavors. So, you can easily find Larabars that appeal to your taste, irrespective of whether you prefer fruity treats or cookies.
- No B.S: Larabars are made from real food. The date base delivers sweetness. They do not contain sugar, preservatives, colorings, or any stuff that is harmful to the body. So, it is a safe but indulgent snack for people of all ages.
- Whole 30, Kosher, Vegan, and Gluten-free options available: If you have made up your mind to eat healthier, Larabars are a must-have on your list. Flavors like apple pie, cashew cookie, cherry pie, banana bread, and lemon pie are all Whole 30 compliant. Most flavors are vegan-friendly and Kosher food. All Larabars are gluten-free.
- Suitable as a post-workout or afternoon snack: Larabars deliver instant energy to refuel your body. So, it works well as a post-workout snack or for when you must miss a meal.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Larabars
Despite the advantages, Larabars may not be suitable for everyone. If you notice the ingredient list, you will see that most flavors contain nuts. Hence, it is not ideal for people with nut allergies.
Another factor is that Larabars contain a measly quantity of proteins. So, if you are trying to improve your protein intake, this may not be the best choice for you.
Finally, the presence of dates in all flavors creates a distinct taste profile. If you aren’t fond of this fruit, you may like to try a sample bar before buying a whole batch.
Larabars are the go-to choice when it comes to nutrition bars that deliver clean energy and are made from real food.
With minimally processed ingredients and delicious flavor profiles, they are amazing snacks. But the best thing is that they are healthy and delicious.
Our list discusses the top 7 flavors of Larabars. However, there are many more for you to explore! Try them out one by one. Pick them up when you crave dessert or need a post-workout snack. And don’t forget to drop us a comment to let us know which your favorite flavor is.