Dehydration is harsh on your body and can make your entire day almost impossible. It takes a big toll on your energy, cognitive performance, and athletic ability. Hydration is one of the most important factors in staying healthy, yet it is often overlooked.
You may have spotted the new breed of electrolyte packets from brands like Liquid I.V. and LMNT in your favorite health-focused stores. These products provide an easy way to boost your energy and stay focused. We’ll compare these two products so you can decide which one is right for you.
Symptoms of Dehydration
Dehydration occurs when the body loses more fluids than it takes in. This can be caused by excessive heat, exercise or sweating, and not enough water intake. Other causes include vomiting and diarrhea (as well as any condition that results in frequent urination).
The symptoms of dehydration are relatively obvious: thirst, dry mouth and tongue, decreased urine output, dizziness upon standing up too quickly, seizures, confusion, fatigue, or weakness after exercise.
In addition to these symptoms, athletes who experience dehydration may also experience dizziness or feel lightheaded because electrolytes are being lost throughout their muscles as well as other parts of the body. When electrolytes like potassium (K+) are lost during dehydration, they must be replaced by drinking fluids containing potassium such as sports drinks or fruit juices with added vitamins and minerals.
How much electrolyte do you need to stay healthy?
A healthy body needs a balance of electrolytes to function properly. Electrolytes are important for health and performance because they help keep fluids in your body where they should be, including in the cells that make up your muscles and other tissues. If you lose too many electrolytes through sweating or exercise, you may feel tired or experience muscle cramps.
According to nutrition experts at Healthline, there is no precise amount of electrolytes needed on a daily basis because this depends on several factors including age; gender; activity level; climate conditions (heat/cold); etc…
However, there are some general guidelines about which ones should be replaced more often than others based on their role within the body: Sodium (Na+) has been found helpful for regulating blood pressure levels while Potassium (K+) helps support heart health by maintaining normal blood pressure levels. Other electrolytes that are important to your body include Calcium (Ca2+), Magnesium (Mg2+), Chloride (Cl-), phosphate, and bicarbonate.
Recommended intakes(in milligrams) of some of the most common electrolytes are listed below:
- Sodium: 1500 mg for age 50 or below, 1300 mg for people over 50, 1200 mg for people over 70
- Potassium: 4700 mg
- Calcium: 1000 mg for age 50 or below, 1200 mg for people over 50
- Magnesium: 420 mg for men, 320 mg for women
- Chloride: 2300 mg for age 50 or below, 2000 mg for people over 50, 1800 mg for people over 70
Electrolyte drinks can help replenish the electrolytes you lose during physical activity and help improve your performance by keeping these minerals at the right levels in your body.
What is LMNT?
Licensed Medical Nutrition Therapy (LMNT) is a powdered electrolyte mix, designed to provide your body with electrolytes without the addition of unhealthy ingredients. It provides you with the proper amounts of sodium, potassium, and magnesium which can help relieve symptoms related to dehydration.
It’s perfect for those on a keto or low-carb diet because it doesn’t contain any carbs, which makes it go hand-in-hand with these popular dietary practices. It comes in a variety of flavors and can be mixed into water or smoothies, making it easy to drink.
What is Liquid I.V.?
Liquid I.V. is a drink mix that floods your body with essential nutrients and can help quench thirst better than water alone. The science behind it? Liquid I.V.’s Cellular Transport Technology (CTT).
The company claims that its patented CTT uses a specific ratio of glucose, sodium, and potassium to deliver water and key nutrients directly to your bloodstream. This means your body absorbs them quickly for an immediate hydration boost.
Liquid I.V.’s formula is gluten-free, soy-free, and dairy-free. The company also offers several flavors for those who want something other than water as an option!
LMNT vs Liquid I.V. comparison
They both have the same goal—to restore your hydration balance after a tough workout or game, and to prevent headaches that occur when you’re dehydrated. So which one is better? Let’s take a look.
The Facts about LMNT drink mix
The brand was launched by Robb Wolf, a well-known figure in the world of fitness and nutrition, who began training in Jiu-Jitsu three or four times a week. But after a few months, he noticed that he just didn’t have the energy to push through his workouts.
His solution was to experiment with sodium, potassium, and magnesium levels until he found the optimal ratio for both strength and endurance. He launched LMNT(pronounced “element”) in 2018.
The ingredients will depend on the flavor that you choose. However, most flavors have similar ingredients. In general, each serving contains:
- Salt (Sodium Chloride)
- Citric Acid (on Citrus Salt, Orange Salt, Rasberry Salt & Lemon Habanero flavors)
- Malic Acid (on Watermelon Salt & Mango Chili flavors)
- Cocoa Powder (on Chocolate Salt flavor)
- Magnesium Malate
- Potassium Chloride
- Natural Flavors
- Stevia Leaf Extract
It is important to note that there are no artificial colors or preservatives in this product.
If you’re looking for a simple solution to your electrolyte needs, LMNT is the way to go.
Per 1 stick(6g) pack, you’re getting:
- 1000 mg Sodium
- 200 mg Potassium
- 60 mg Magnesium
Because LMNT is sugar-free, you won’t have to worry about consuming excess calories.
Taste & Flavor Options
The LMNT is available in a variety of flavors, so you can choose the one that tastes best to you. There are eight flavors:
- Citrus Salt – This is a refreshing blend of citrus fruits and sea salts that will leave you feeling energized and refreshed.
- Watermelon Salt – This flavor is mostly salty with just enough watermelon taste to make it interesting. It’s great for adding electrolytes to your water and will keep you feeling hydrated on hot days or when working out. The flavor is fairly new, but we like it a lot.
- Mango Chili – This flavor is tangy and spicy. The mango flavor helps to cool down the heat from the chili pepper if you’re not looking for anything too spicy. Your taste buds will be able to distinguish both flavors when you taste this blend.
- Orange Salt – Tastes exactly as its name suggests—like oranges! This is one of my personal favorites because I love anything citrusy—especially during warmer months when my energy tends to flag by mid-afternoon.
- Raspberry Salt – It’s like drinking raspberry lemonade without all that sugar!
- Lemon Habanero – Tasted like lemonade with a hint of spice from the cayenne pepper
- Raw Unflavored – This is their regular, plain-tasting option—I’m personally not much of an unflavored drinker but if you enjoy drinking straight-up saltwater then this might be right up your alley!
- Chocolate Salt – If you love chocolate, this will be your favorite flavor!
What Makes LMNT Different?
Unlike many sports drinks, LMNT doesn’t contain any sugar or artificial ingredients so you can rest assured that it won’t upset your stomach during or after workouts. LMNT is sweetened with stevia leaf extract, a natural source of sweetness. The result is a clean taste that’s refreshingly delicious.
LMNT is easy to mix, tastes good, and has no preservatives or artificial ingredients; this means you can enjoy them without worrying about your health. Plus, they are gluten-free!
They’re also perfect when used as part of an intermittent fasting program because they don’t cause blood sugar spikes like other sports drinks do (like Gatorade). This makes them ideal for both athletes who want to make sure they stay hydrated while working out without having to worry about getting sick afterward due to excess glucose levels entering their bloodstream.
The best part is that they’re portable, convenient, and easy to pack. They take up little space, which is a huge plus. It’s the perfect portable balance of electrolytes!
Of course, there is a downside to everything. LMNT is one of the more expensive electrolyte mixes out there, but if you subscribe, the cost comes down. If you buy in bulk, you can get a pack for under $1 per packet.
The Facts about Liquid I.V. drink mix
Liquid I.V. is not only good for you, but it also tastes great as well! The World Health Organization’s guidelines for Oral Rehydration Solution are the foundation of Liquid I.V., which is formulated to combat dehydration by supplying electrolytes (sodium, potassium), key vitamins (B6 & B12), and minerals (magnesium). It’s easy to prepare – just mix one stick packet with 16oz of water and you’re ready to go!
The company uses Cellular Transport Technology in all of its products—including Hydration Multiplier, Hydration Multiplier + Immune Support, Energy Multiplier, and Sleep Multiplier—which means you get rapid absorption of water and other key ingredients into your bloodstream so you can hydrate faster than ever before!
Liquid I.V.’s website says it has three times as many electrolytes as sports drinks, helping to combat dehydration and replenish what you lose when exercising intensely in hot weather conditions—making it an effective hydration solution whether you’re training on the field or fighting off zombies in a post-apocalyptic wasteland!
The ingredients used in Liquid I.V. are dependent on the flavor you choose, but here’s a general breakdown:
- Sodium Citrate (Using it can bring a nice tartness.)
- Mined Salt
- Dextrose (A form of sugar that provides energy to maintain an active lifestyle/exercise routine.)
- Vitamin C (Aids in immune system function, tissue growth, and repair; plays a role in collagen synthesis.)
- Natural Flavors (Used in small amounts to enhance the taste profile)
- Stevia leaf extract (Natural sweetener derived from plants.)
- Silicon Dioxide (An anti-caking agent used in food processing as well as some medications.)
- Dipotassium Phosphate (Acts as a great source of potassium)
- Citric Acid
- Vitamins B3, B5, B6, and B12
- Potassium Citrate (Provides a great source of potassium)
The liquid I.V. has 11 grams of sugar per serving, which might be a bit too much for some people. But remember that it is still lower than what you’d find in sports drinks like Powerade or Gatorade. You also have to keep in mind that the recommended daily allowance for added sugars is no more than 25 grams per day for women and 36 grams per day for men.
Per 1 stick(16g) pack, you’re getting:
- 500 mg Sodium
- 370 mg Potassium
- 11 g Total Sugars
- 73 g of Vitamin C
- 2.3 mg Vitamin B6
- 6.8 mcg Vitamin B12
- 11.4 mg Pantothenic Acid
- 22.8 mg Niacin
Those sensitive to caffeine should carefully consider the ingredients used in the energy version of Liquid IV.
Taste & Flavor Options
Liquid I.V. is available in ten delicious flavors, so you can pick the one that best suits your taste buds!
- Lemon Lime – It provides a refreshing burst of flavor with a slightly tart aftertaste. It’s perfect for anyone who likes the classic taste of lemonade but wants to add some energy-boosting nutrients to their drink!
- Golden Cherry – This sweet, fruity flavor will have you experiencing a rush of energy.
- Concord Grape – A tart, yet sweet flavor that comes from the concord grape makes this a favorite among those who like their liquids on the bolder side!
- Passion Fruit – Inspired by the Hawaiian passion fruit, this tropical fruit flavor has hints of honey and berry. It’s a perfect match for a hot summer day spent by the pool.
- Piña Colada – It combines pineapple flavoring with coconut water for a tropical treat you’ll love all year long!
- Strawberry – This flavor is perfect for anyone who loves strawberry-flavored anything but doesn’t want something too sweet or artificial tasting!
- Watermelon – The crisp and fruity watermelon and the subtle floral note of roses for a flavor experience that’s as thirst-quenching as it is refreshing. With just the right amount of sweetness and no artificial aftertaste, this is a great pick for any hot day or long workout.
- Guava – If you’re looking for something more exotic, try this—it has notes of guava, pineapple, and hints of hibiscus with a slight citrus aftertaste.
- Acai Berry – Tart but not too sour, with notes of grapes and honey that make it unique from other berry flavors on the market today.
What Makes Liquid I.V. Different?
If you’re looking for an alternative to the traditional liquid electrolyte drink, Liquid I.V. might be right for you. It has more vitamins and minerals than any other liquid supplement on the market, making it a powerful sports recovery drink that can be used to support your overall health.
It’s great for travel: since it comes in small packets that are lightweight and easy to carry around with you wherever you go; just put them in your purse or backpack before heading out on an adventure!
It’s gluten-free, non-GMO, and soy-free! In addition to being vegan friendly, it also contains no dairy products which makes it suitable for those with allergies or sensitivities.
Liquid I.V. is available in a variety of flavors, and the packets come in several options: 16-pack, 32-pack, 64-pack, and 96-pack. The best part? They’ve got a product for every need, from the original Hydration Multiplier to their new Sleep Multiplier!
Who wins? – LMNT and Liquid I.V. at a glance
Well, we think it depends on what you’re looking for. If your main concern is getting enough sodium and magnesium (especially after working out), then opting for LMNT would be better suited since its formula contains higher concentrations of these two minerals than Liquid I.V., which makes it a better option for athletes or those who sweat a lot during physical activity such as running or lifting weights at the gym.
Liquid I.V. has more varieties of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, B6, B12, and many others. Not everyone likes the taste of Liquid IV., but it’s not too salty compared to LMNT, which can be too salty for some people’s liking.
LMNT contains some Magnesium, which is a mineral that helps the body with energy production and protein synthesis.
Some might consider the 11 grams of sugar in Liquid I.V a bit much, but others might not mind this detail if they’re looking for something to satisfy their sweet tooth after a long day at work or dealing with hangovers.
When it comes to taste and flavor options, both LMNT and Liquid I.V. have a lot to offer. Both LMNT and Liquid I.V. are convenient and easy to carry, as they come in stick form. They both mix well with water.
Proper hydration is key to your health, energy level, cognitive performance, and athletic ability. When you don’t drink enough water, you’ll have a hard time getting through the day.
Both products are designed to hydrate you, restore your hydration balance after a tough workout or game, and help prevent headaches that can occur when you’re dehydrated (or just thirsty). So ultimately what matters most for you will depend on your own personal needs (and preferences) but all things being equal–it’s safe to say that both options are great choices when it comes to boosting your health while avoiding dehydration during hot summer days!